Monday, February 15, 2010

HW 40

Interviews

Do you like school?

Cousin ( 6 years old): " Yes, school is fun! I have a lot of friends and my teacher is really nice."

Friend 1:" Yes! I enjoy school because I go to an alternative school where I don't feel like I'm in a prison, I don't feel like I'm less than my teachers, we are all on the same page. My classes are discussion based and our subject matters are more complex than regular schools. I like all of my classes. For example toy design ,Shakespeare goes to the movies, dance dance revolution. Seriously my school is soo awesome!


Friend 2:" Yeah because we don't have grades, it all depends on the students work ethic and all of my classes are integrated and diverse. We are exposed to so many different people."

Kid (12 years old): "Yea I guess, it depends on the day and how much homework I get."

Is school more important than your social life?

Friend 1: "It's sort of a trick question b/c I feel like part of school is learning how to be social. Neither one trumps the other. Part of being smart is learning how to deal with people, both are equally important. At my school we have an hour lunch and 2 breaks each day where people socialize with each other."

Have you ever considered home schooling?

Friend: "Yes I have because I was basically told I was unwelcome at a previous school and then I decided to consider my options and homeschooling was definitely one of them.

Friend 3: "Yeah because when I first came to my school I hated it and was afraid to go to another school. It's always a fantasy - why can't I be home schooled?"

If you could substitute a subject in school with something you're interested in what would it be?

Friend 1:" I wouldn't have to do that because all of my classes are so unique and interesting compared to other schools. There is something offered for everyone at my school. Ex. scrap booking, acting class, whose line is it anyways, human diseases, poetry, dance class, kickboxing, film class, sketch book art, photography class, American film and pop culture , cooking class, just to name a few.

Friend 2:" I would substitute math b/c I feel like I'm not going to use what I learn in math now , later on in life. I feel I know enough about math (the basics) so I'd rather do art because it's something I really enjoy doing and am passionate about. I wouldn't get annoyed learning about it."

Part B:
School should be a place where learning is made interesting and and inspires the students thinking. Where students should actually enjoy what they are being taught. Where they don't feel like the are less than their teachers or are in a prison where they are being taught to believe and accept whatever is being drilled into their heads. Also that grades don't necessarily determine how much a student knows/learned. Grades shouldn't determine a students success in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment